The COIN-OR Foundation, Inc., is a non-profit educational and scientific foundation that was formed to manage the COIN-OR project.
The mission of the COIN-OR Foundation, Inc., is to create and disseminate knowledge related to all aspects of computational operations research. To accomplish this mission, the Foundation will:
- carry out original research, development, and publication of state-of-the-art open-source software for operations research;
- facilitate the transfer of OR technology among researchers, educators, and practioners;
- provide a forum for publication of open-source software for operations research created by nonmembers;
- promote the creation of open-source software for operations research by providing infrastructure to support community-driven development;
- increase community awareness and use of OR software tools published by the Foundation;
- work to establish open standards for data interchange and software interoperability;
- create and disseminate educational materials relating to computational operations research;
- develop academic peer review processes for software publication.
Structure of the Foundation
The Foundation is run by a Strategic Leadership Board (SLB) and a Technical Leadership Council (TLC), both of whose members are elected by Full Members of the Foundation. Individual projects are managed by Project Managers, who report to the TLC.