- Strategic Partners
- Strategic Leadership Board
- Technical Leadership Council
The COIN-OR Foundation, Inc., is a non-profit educational and scientific foundation that was formed to manage the COIN-OR project.
The mission of the COIN-OR Foundation, Inc., is to create and disseminate knowledge related to all aspects of computational operations research. To accomplish this mission, the Foundation will:
- carry out original research, development, and publication of state-of-the-art open-source software for operations research;
- facilitate the transfer of OR technology among research, education, and practice;
- provide a forum for publication of open-source software for operations research created by nonmembers;
- promote the creation of open-source software for operations research by providing infrastructure to support community-driven development;
- increase community awareness and use of OR software tools published by the Foundation;
- work to establish open standards for data interchange and software interoperability;
- create and disseminate educational materials relating to computational operations research;
- develop academic peer review processes for software publication.
Structure of the Foundation
The Foundation is run by a Strategic Leadership Board (SLB) and a Technical Leadership Council (TLC), both of whose members are elected by Full Members of the Foundation. Individual projects are managed by Project Managers, who report to the TLC.
Full Membership in the Foundation is offered to those individuals who make substantial non-monetary contributions to the work of the Foundation, typically in the form of code, documentation, or other work. Full Members elect the Strategic Leadership Board and Technical Leadership Council. Any individual may nominate another for Full Membership in the Foundation. A nomination should describe the nominee's contributions to COIN-OR and must be seconded by two current Full Members. That's all there is to it. Nominations are accepted at any time and should be addressed to the .
Corporate Membership and/or Corporate Sponsorship is available to institutions that make significant contributions (monetary or non-monetary) to the Foundation. These institutions are listed on our Corporate Members page. For more details on becoming a Corporate Member or Corporate Sponsor, please email info at coin-or dot org or contact any member of the Strategic Leadership Board.
The COIN-OR Foundation recognizes the INFORMS Computing Society (ICS) as a strategic partner, and cooperates with the ICS in a number of ways, including co-sponsorship of many conference tracks and sessions.
Records of the Foundation, including by-laws and minutes, are located on the Foundation records page.
Strategic Leadership Board
(Trac page for SLB members.)
The Strategic Leadership Board (SLB) conducts the business affairs of the Foundation, sets the overall strategic direction of the Foundation, and functions as the legal Board of Directors.
Members of the Strategic Leadership Board are elected to three-year terms. The following are the current members as well as the year their current term ends:
- Kevin Furman (2015)
- Lou Hafer (2015),
- William Hart (2014)
- Randy Kiefer (2013),
- Alan King (2013)
- Ted Ralphs,
- Paul Rubin (2013)
- Matthew Saltzman (2013),
Several committees coordinate the work of the SLB:
- Randy Kiefer (chair)
- Legal Affairs
- Ted Ralphs (chair), Lou Hafer, Matthew Saltzman
- Lou Hafer (chair)
- William Hart (chair), Bob Fourer, Lou Hafer, Matt Saltzman
- Matthew Saltzman, William Hart
Technical Leadership Council
The Technical Leadership Council (TLC) provides the technical direction required to achieve the strategic goals of the Foundation as set by the SLB and sets the technical standards applicable to all Foundation projects.
Members of the Technical Leadership Council are elected to three-year terms. The following are the current members:
- Matt Galati (2013)
- Kipp Martin (2014)
- Ted Ralphs (2013)
- Haroldo Gambini Santos (2015)
- John Siirola (2014)
- Stefan Vigerske (2014)
Former Board and Council Members
- JP Fasano (TLC, 2004-2009)
- Bob Fourer (SLB, 2005-2011)
- Brady Hunsaker (SLB, 2004-2007)
- David Jensen (SLB, 2008-2011)
- Bjarni Kristjansson (SLB, 2004-2006)
- Laszlo Ladanyi (TLC, 2004-2011)
- Jeff Linderoth (TLC, 2004-2005)
- Leo Lopes (TLC, 2004-2012)
- Robin Lougee (SLB, 2004-2008)
- Francois Margot (TLC, 2005-2008)
- Michael Trick (SLB, 2007-2010)
- Andreas Wächter (TLC, 2004-2010)