Back to SYMPHONY Home Page
Next: The Cut Generator Module
Up: Modular Implementation
Previous: The Tree Manager Module
The linear programming (LP) module is the most complex and
computationally intensive of the five processes. Its job is to perform
the bounding and branching operations. These operations
are, of course, central to the performance of the algorithm. Functions
performed by the LP module are:
- Inform the tree manager when a new subproblem is needed.
- Receive a subproblem and process it in conjunction
with the cut generator and the cut pool.
- Decide which cuts should be sent to the global pool to
be made available to other LP modules.
- If necessary, choose a branching object and send its
description back to the tree manager.
- Perform the fathoming operation, including generating