Back to SYMPHONY Home Page
Next: Algorithm Overview
Up: Parallelizing Branch and Cut
Previous: The Linear Programming Process
The tree manager controls the overall execution of the algorithm. It
tracks the status of all processes, as well as that of the search
tree, and distributes the work.
Functions Performed by the Tree Manager Process
- Receive data for root node and place it on the list of candidates
- Receive data for subproblems to be held for later
- Handle requests from linear programming processes to
send a subproblem for processing.
- Receive branching object information, set up data structures
for the children, and add them to the list of candidate subproblems.
- Keep track of the global upper bound and notify all LP
processes when it changes.
- Write current state information out to disk periodically
to allow a warm restart in the event of a system crash.
- Keep track of run data and send it to the master
program at termination.